Are You Cyclone Ready?
It is that time of the year again, the wet kicks in, mango madness is in full force and wait for it….Cyclone Season arrives.
The Northern Territory is naturally prone to experience between 2-3 cyclones tropical cyclone events affecting the area between 1 November and 30 April each year.
Using the following make sure your rental property is well prepared for the Cyclone Season to ensure you get through it safe & sound!
Preparing for the Cyclone Season
Clear all loose material that could blow about and possibly cause injury or damage during extreme winds from the property.
In the case of a storm surge/tidal warning, or other flooding, know your nearest safe high ground and the safest access route to it.
Prepare an Emergency kit - Prepare an emergency kit that can sustain every member of the household for at least 72 hours.
Your emergency kit should include:
- Battery-operated radio with spare batteries
- Torch with spare batteries, candles and waterproof matches
- First Aid Kit & manual with any essential medicines that may not be found in a basic kit
- A change of clothes for each member of the household (wind and waterproof, hats, leather gloves, strong protective closed-in shoes)
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Toilet paper and essential toiletries, including sunscreen
- Special needs for infants (food, formula, nappies, toys), the aged and people with disabilities
- Money, including change for phone calls
- Important family documents (birth & marriage certificates, driver’s licence, passports, insurance policies and photos)
- Strong and sealable plastic bags (for clothing, valuables, documents & photographs)
- A mobile phone, spare battery and charger
- Extra car and house keys
- A copy of your household plan
- Pet supplies
- Non-perishable foods (dried and canned – label cans and don’t forget the can opener!)
- 10 litres of bottled water per person (three days plus)
- Portable cooker (if using gas remember to have spare canisters or bottles)
- Cooking and eating equipment and utensils
In most emergencies in the Territory, depending on where you live, you should be able to remain in your home, work or pre-arranged alternative location. Since 1974 all houses and units in the Northern Territory have been built withstand a mid-range category 4 cyclone as they have been built to a specific Building Code.
Community safety is everyone’s responsibility should you have any further questions please contact the Northern Territory Emergency Services on 131 444.